Phase I: Early ROM & Protect Repair (0 to 6 weeks)
- Splint and postop dressing remains in place for the first week.
- Sutures will be removed by surgeon in 10-14 days.
- Initiate elbow exercise program 5 times per day:
- Passive elbow ROM to full extension
- Passive, Active-assisted and active elbow flexion to 105 degrees over first 4 weeks postop and to 125 by 6 weeks
- Forearm pronation/supination ROM with elbow at 90 degrees flexion
- Grip and wrist/hand AROM immediately.
- No strengthening
Phase II: Full ROM and function (> 6 weeks)
- Advance ROM:
- Full elbow and forearm ROM
- Terminal elbow flexion progressively gained
- Gently initiate elbow and forearm strengthening only once elbow motion is normal
- Can use flexion cuff PRN