Acromioclavicular Joint Reconstruction
Phase I: Protect Repair (2 to 6 weeks after surgery)
- Patients may shower immediately over clear plastic, waterproof dressing
- Sutures are all underneath the skin and will dissolve on their own
- Ice encouraged for the first week at a minimum: should be used 3-4 times per day
- Sling/brace should be in place when not performing exercises
- Initiate exercise program 3 times per day:
- Immediate elbow, forearm and hand range of motion out of sling
- Pendulum exercises
- Passive and active assistive ER at the side to 30, flexion to 130
- No lifting with involved extremity.
- AVOID scapular ROM exercises.
Phase II: Progress ROM & Protect Repair (6 to 12 weeks after surgery)
- May discontinue sling.
- Lifting restriction of 5 pounds with the involved extremity.
- Advance active and passive ROM in all planes to tolerance.
- Initiate gentle rotator cuff strengthening.
- Initiate scapular AROM exercises.
Phase III: Full Function (3 months after surgery)
- Discontinue lifting restrictions.
- Advance rotator cuff and scapular stabilizer strengthening.
- Initiate functional progression to sports specific activities at 4 months.